To prevent frizz: Go about your usual shampoo and conditioner routine in the shower- HOWEVER- do not rinse the conditioner from your hair with hot or even warm water. Yes, this means that I am saying if you want to prevent frizz, you have to rinse your hair in COLD water-even in the winter. Why?
Many years ago when I had long, long hair (as many latina girls grow up with), I discovered one cold winter night that after I exposed my hair to the cold, dry air in our apartment, (my mom likes to keep windows open, I don't know why) it miraculously didn't get frizzy as it usually did. Somehow my thought process pinpointed the cold air as what was keeping my hair tame and I began to rinse the conditioner out of my hair using cold water. I've since read that cold water seals the hair cuticle(kind of like how it tightens pores?), sealing in moisture. Let me tell you, it takes courage to dump cold water on your head, especially in the winter.
Here's how I do it: I lather my hair with my shampoo of the moment (right now its the Suave Professionals Invigorating Clean with Rosemary and Mint) rinse, and apply my favorite hair treatment, Carol's Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask. This is the last step in my shower routine.
After leaving this on for at least 5 minutes, I reduce the water temperature to cold bordering on freezing, and lean my head back into the water stream like they do at salons (this is only to avoid freezing my body in cold water). I rinse the hair treatment completely and avoid rubbing my hair dry with a towel, instead patting it gently. Afterwards, I use a wide tooth comb to detangle instead of a brush in order to reduce breakage. Then I let my hair air dry OR use a hairdryer. VOILA!
No comments:
Post a Comment